Targeted Directory of literary agents and editors of commercial fiction
[ A ] [ B ] [ C ] [ D ] [ E - F ] [ G ] [ H ] [ I - J ] [ K ] [ L ]
[ M ] [ N ] [ O - P - Q ] [ R ] [ S ] [ T ] [ U - V - W ] [ Z ]
PUBLISHERS / EDITORS:
[ A ] [ B ] [ C ] [ D - F ] [ G - H ]
[ I - L ] [ M - O ] [ P ] [ R ] [ S ] [ T - Z ]
See what it took to publish my first novel
Capital Crime Press
PO Box 272904, Fort Collins,
We only publish mystery/crime fiction, and are partial to certain styles over other ones. We generally publish manuscripts between 65,000 and 95,000 words in length.
Digital Books only
"Contract does not include advance, and authors are paid higher royalty."
"Carina Press is currently accepting submissions in all genres of commercial fiction. Carina Press will consider shorter stories, genre novels of 50,000 to 100,000 words and longer, and complex narratives of over 100,000 words. Carina Press will also acquire books that have been previously released in print form, but for which the author has either retained digital rights or had digital rights revert to them. All submissions should be sent to submissions [at] carinapress [dot] com."
1. We accept unsolicited novel and short story collection manuscripts of up to 100,000 words. (We do not accept poetry at this time, although we might make an exception for a novel-in-verse, like Dorothy Porter's noirish The Monkey's Mask. Query first.)
2. We are a dark fiction genre publisher. This includes science fiction, fantasy, horror, magic realism, industrial thrillers, etc. We are interested in the unusual, the outré, the transgressive. We are interested in pushing the boundaries.
3. Your submission should include:
o a SHORT cover letter (you can put this in the body of your e-mail) with contact info and a brief bio note;
o a one-page synopsis of your manuscript;
o and the first 3–4 chapters/stories of your book.
DO NOT send the whole manuscript.
4. DO NOT SEND: Twilight retreads, Sookie Stackhouse homages, Tolkien knock-offs, stories set in worlds created by other writers.
5. Your submission should be, above all, well-written—strong style, characters, plot. Leave your clichés and genre tropes at home. Give us an unusual point of view. Make us sit up and take notice. Please be sure to read this page about our publishing philosophy before you submit.
6. No multiple submissions.
7. Simultaneous submission is okay, so long as you tell us it's simultaneous, and alert us immediately if it's accepted elsewhere.
8. Please e-mail submissions as a readable attachment (DOC, RTF, or ODT) in standard manuscript format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. Response time will vary depending on volume of submissions.
Cedar Fort, Inc.,
925 N. Main,
Springville UT 84663
Lee Nelson, editor
Pays 6-12% Send synopsis + 3 sample chapters + author info
680 Second Street,
San Francisco CA 94107;
415-537-4300 800-722-6657 Fax: 415-537-3730.
Mysteries, thrillers, and other fiction.
730 W. 51st St.,
Casper WY 82601
Q with sase
Crippen & Landru Publishers
P.O. Box 9315
Norfolk, VA 23505-9315
Mostly short story collections